West Lothian College, based in Livingston, offers a wide range of further and higher education courses to over 6,000 students each year. The college's vision is to develop a highly skilled and enterprising workforce.
The Chair of the college's Board of Management is Alex Linkston and the Principal & Chief Executive is Jackie Galbraith. The college is renowned for successful collaborations with local, national and international partners. With a vibrant, modern learning environment, West Lothian College is well equipped to ensure that students have the best facilities and resources to help develop their skills. The college provides courses to develop skills for employment and to enhance career prospects for those already in work. West Lothian College employs around 350 staff, making it one of the area’s largest employers.
Focused on being innovative in the delivery of high quality learning and supporting the needs of young learners, the college is led by Jackie Galbraith, who was appointed to the position in August 2018.
With a vibrant, modern and innovative learning environment, the college is well equipped to ensure that students have the best facilities and resources to help develop their learning and skills. For 2016-17 it was established that 97% of all HN graduates are now in positive destinations.
Renowned for its successful collaborations with external partners, the College was also an early adopter and pathfinder for “Foundation Apprenticeships”. The College’s successes include:
- Gaining accreditation for work in Science, Technology, Enterprise and Mathematics (STEM) and signing an innovative partnership with a leading Indonesian college
- International staff and student exchanges in 2017-2018 included Malaysia, Italy, Gran Canaria, Portugal, Romania, Holland, Sweden, Germany, South Africa and many more
- 2015 and 2017 Winners of the “Best Restaurant in South East Scotland Award” voted for by the Scottish public for the College’s hospitality training facility the “Terrace Restaurant”
- Having secured investment, the college has completed recent extensions to its facilities with a new engineering multi-purpose workshop and a purpose built state of the art fitness suite to complement the existing sports hall. These are supporting the college to extend its curriculum further with programmes in construction, engineering and sports and fitness
- Most recently receiving a national accolade (National Enterprise Educator Awards) for delivering exceptional enterprise or entrepreneurship education inside or outside the curriculum
- 2016 Education Scotland full review which recognised the effective leadership of the college
The College employs more than 320 staff making it one of the largest employers in the area
Specialist Curriculum Areas
The College is renowned for a number of key specialisms in:
Healthcare & Care
Sport & Fitness
Hairdressing & Beauty Therapy
Business & Management
In October 2018, the Children's Hearings Scotland Training Unit was officially renewed at West Lothian College. The College delivers all pre-service training for Panel Members across Scotland, since 2013.
The College also has a National Skills Academy for Customer Service and Retail, and works with a range of major retail companies.
Principal – Jackie Galbraith
Regional Chair - Alex Linkston
Address - West Lothian College, Almondvale Crescent, Livingston, West Lothian, EH54 7EP
Telephone - 01506 418181